The barracks were built around 1870 and thus became Verden Garrison City (Mounted Artillery). The National Socialists built more buildings and built the access roads. Air defense units of the Wehrmacht were stationed here. The barracks and other locations in Verden housed command and control services and other facilities of Military District X. Since the city was largely spared fighting in World War II, the buildings were still largely intact after the war. After invasion of the British troops on April the 17th 1945, war time was over in Verden. From 1945 to 1993, the 1st Armored Division of the British Army (1st Armored Division) was stationed in the Caithness Barracks in Verden.